If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A DIY cough syrup made from kitchen cupboard staples, to help you combat your cough as well as reduce inflammation in the throat. Sip it by the tablespoon until your itchy, scratchy throat is content.
Honey and lemon is a legendary combination when it comes to sore throats. Combine that with anti-fungal herbs to open up the airways, and loosen up and expel mucus from the lungs.
Recipe excerpted with permission from Tonic by Tanita de Ruijt, published by Hardie Grant Books January 2018.
Makes 360 ml (12 fl oz)
- 180 milliliters (6 fl oz) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lemons, sliced
- fresh sprigs of sage, rosemary and thyme
- 180 (6 fl oz) honey
- 2 1/2 cm (1 in) piece of fresh turmeric or ginger root, grated (optional)
- Add all the ingredients, except for the honey, to a small saucepan set over a medium heat. Infuse for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Once cool, strain, mix the honey in well, and store in a sterilized mason (preserving) jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid.
- It will keep in the fridge for 3 months, or keep on your kitchen counter for about 1 1/2 months.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!