If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As far as payoff per unit-effort goes, this recipe can't be beat. I've stripped down a load of the usual tinga recipes, and only included the bits that make for a dark, dense, warm & smoky sauce. —Ian
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 4 large tomatillos (or a hefty handful, if they're small), peeled
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- .5 white onion, in ~.5" slices
- 4 serrano chilis
- 1 7oz can chipotle chilis, in sauce
- 2-6 cloves garlic
- 1 fully cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 8 tortillas
- 8 lime wedges
- .5 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Toss the first five ingredients in lightly salted olive oil, drain, then place them onto an oiled baking sheet. Broil them, while turning to ensure the skins are thoroughly blackened.
- Strip away the skin, and toss everything, along with the chipotles, their sauce, and the raw garlic, into a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Heat up the sauce, then toss in the chicken. Just bring to temperature.
- Pile the tinga atop your tortillas, top with avocado, cilantro, and shredded cabbage. Pair with a lime, and you're golden.