- Serves 6-8
This recipe combines two of my families favorite desserts: Molasses Spice Cookies and Pumpkin Ice Cream. They are a refreshing addition to the dessert table and can be made in a variety of sizes to suit your appetite. Feel free to play with these: add chopped crystallized ginger or pumpkin seeds for taste & visual appeal. —sticksnscones
2 1/2 cups
sticks, unsalted butter- at room temperature
granulated sugar+ additional for rolling
egg-at room temperature
1/3- 1/2 cups
optional: crystallized ginger-chopped
optional: toasted pumpkin seeds
pint, pumpkin ice cream or frozen yogurt
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour,baking soda, spices and salt.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the water. Mix until well blended.
- Add molasses and mix until well blended. Add optional chopped crystallized ginger.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- Place extra granulated sugar in bowl. Break off walnut sized balls and roll in sugar.
- Place dough on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and bake about 10 minutes or until just set. They may not look totally done, but you want them to be a little soft. Don't overbake!
- Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before assembling sandwiches.
- Let pumpkin ice cream/yogurt soften to a spreadable consistency. Using an ice cream scoop, place a small scoop on the flat size of one of the cookies- try to spread it evenly. Place the second cookie flat side down on top of the ice cream. Press together so that the ice cream comes out to the edge of the cookie.
- Optional: Roll in additional crystallized ginger or pumpkin seeds.
- Wrap each sandwich in plastic and place in ziploc bag. Transfer to freezer.
- Remove from freezer shortly before serving.