Author Notes: Minnie Utsey's cornbread follows a classic soul food formula, particularly with the use of yellow cornmeal and sugar. Unfortunately, Minnie Utsey died in 2010, so never got to see my book. I honor her loving memory with this cornbread that lives up to its title. —soulfoodscholar
Food52 Review: This recipe was featured in the story The No-Fail Cornbread That's Slightly Sweet & Very Divine —The Editors
cup all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
cups coarse yellow cornmeal
cup vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk in the cornmeal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and shortening until smooth. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until firm and the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!