These are the easiest crackers to make because they require only a few ingredients, plus they don’t need to be rolled out and cut. They’re shaped into a log and chilled, then sliced. They can be tweaked endlessly to create yummy flavors, but my favorite is topping them with a few herb leaves – they’re wonderfully sandy crackers that are great alone or with cheese. —Erin Jeanne McDowell
Test Kitchen Notes
For more on how to make crackers, see the full article. —The Editors
- Makes Makes about 1 1/2 dozen crackers
(113 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups
(149 g) white spelt flour
(3 g) fine sea salt
(14 g) heavy cream
egg wash, as needed for finishing
herb leaves, as needed for finishing (I especially like sage + thyme)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter on medium speed for a few minutes to lighten it.
- Add the spelt flour and salt and mix until the mixture is thoroughly combined (but don’t overmix)!
- Add the cream and mix to combine. The mixture should easily hold together when pressed between your fingers. If it doesn’t and seems dry, add more cream 1 teaspoon at a time until it does.
- Prepare a piece of parchment paper roughly the size of a baking sheet Turn the dough out onto the parchment and form it into a rough log along one of the long sides of the paper.
- Roll up the log inside the paper, and continue to roll it into an even, rounded log shop about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the dough to the freezer and freeze for 20 to 30 minutes, until nicely chilled.
- When the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut the log with a sharp knife into rounds about ¼ inch thick. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. The crackers will spread only slightly, so they can be pretty close together.
- Brush the surface of each cracker with egg wash, and garnish with an herb leaf (or a few).
- Bake until the cookies are barely golden around the edges and appear set on the surface, 15-17 minutes. Cool completely before serving.