If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish is what weekends are made for. Creamy grits with shrimp and andouille sauce that is to die for! —Rhadia Hursey
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup Milk
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt, to taste
- Bring water, chicken stock, and milk to boil, then slowly whisk in grits, and cook for 45 minutes on low heat stirring constantly. Once grits are tender, add cheddar and parmesan. If grits are too stiff, add in ½ cup water to loosen. Taste for seasoning. If salt is needed, add ¼ tsp kosher salt or more based on taste
- 12 ounces Andouille Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds Large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup Red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 2.5 cups Unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup Scallions, finely chopped
- Sauté andouille sausage on medium heat in 1 tbsp. vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Season shrimp with 2 tsp. of Cajun/Creole seasoning and sauté on medium heat in same pan as the andouille sausage. Cook for 1 minute on each side, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, yellow, red pepper to pan and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes, until tender. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook for additional minute. Add flour and stir until incorporated, and cook for 2 minutes. If mixture is dry, then add 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil.
- Add chicken stock to vegetable mixture and stir to prevent any lump from forming. Let cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat. Add heavy cream and continue to stir. Add in cayenne pepper, and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add in parsley, and garnish with scallions.