On a grey and rainy day, I was craving soup. The nearby "gourmet" market has pre-made soups that I often pick up when I don't feel like cooking, but none of the soups that day seemed appealing. Instead I grabbed the ingredients for a veggie-full soup. Easy and quick, as soups go. Perfect for a chilly day! Reheats well, too. —seasonista
- Serves 6 - 8
medium yellow onion, chopped
stalks celery, diced
crimini mushrooms, sliced
chard, separated into stalks (diced), and leaves (roughly chopped)
fresh italian parsley, chopped
cloves of garlic, smashed
ground black pepper
pre-cooked chicken sausages (I used fennel asiago)
low sodium chicken stock
pre-cooked white beans
- Saute oil, onion, celery, mushrooms, chard stalks, parsley, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and sausage until onion is soft and mushrooms are soft.
- Add broth & water, cover & boil.
- Add orzo, bring back to boiling, then lower heat & simmer 8-10 minutes
- add white beans & chard leaves, simmer until chard is soft.
- Serve with warm crusty bread. Top with shaved parmesan (or other hard salty cheese). Yum!