If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Whether or not Honey Nut Cheerios were your favorite accompaniment to Saturday morning cartoons as a kid, this creamy whiskey drink created by Jared Hirsch of NickelDime Syrups and Sidebar in Oakland is too fun to resist. Bourbon slices through the sweet, nutty flavor of the milk left over at the bottom of your cereal bowl, and it’s all enlivened with a sprinkle of cinnamon. (Okay, you probably want to actually mix the cereal and milk exclusively for this purpose, especially if you plan to serve this to friends. The infusion is quick and painless, I promise.) Try it with Cognac instead of the whiskey if you have a bottle around.
Recipe excerpted with permission from "The One-Bottle Cocktail" by Maggie Hoffman, published by Ten Speed Press, March 2018. —Food52
Breakfast of Champions cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 3/4 ounce 2:1 honey syrup (see recipe)
- 3 ounces Honey Nut Cheerios–infused milk (see below)
- freshly grated or ground cinnamon and cocktail pick with skewered Cheerios (garnish)
- 2:1 HONEY SYRUP Mix two parts (say, 1 ounce) honey with one part (so, ½ ounce) hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Combine bourbon, honey syrup, and Honey Nut Cheerios–infused milk in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake vigorously until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Double-strain into an ice-filled collins or juice glass and garnish with cinnamon and a cocktail pick with skewered Cheerios.
Honey Nut Cheerios–infused milk
- 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
- 8 ounces whole milk
- Combine Cheerios and milk in a resealable container. Refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring or shaking occasionally to help Cheerios break down. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer set over a resealable container, pressing on solids to get as much liquid as possible, and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!