It's a common snack or dessert that is made in Indonesian family kitchens. There are various types of these deep fried plantains, but this is my favorite. It's a very simple and delicious recipe.
It's a common snack or dessert that is made in Indonesian family kitchens. There are various types of these deep fried plantains, but this is my favorite. It's a very simple and delicious recipe.—Megan Abigail Nugroho
Serves: 3 -5 people
Yellow/mid ripening plantains
- First step will be making the batter. Start by hand whisking flour, water, salt and sugar. (seasoning should not be overpowering, but it's up to you how much umami you want). Consistency of batter should not be too thick, but not too runny; so add water bit by bit.
- Chop up plantains to 1.5 inches of width.
- Prepare coconut oil to deep fry. Wait till it starts to boil
- Once it boils, take a big spoon and 3 -4 pieces of the chopped plantains at a time. Scoop the plantains on the spoon with the batter, till it covers the plantains.
- Drop it in the hot oil and fit in as much groups of plantains in the pan. Deep fry till golden brown.
- Once done, serve with chocolate sprinkles and grated cheddar (your choice :)).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains