Author Notes: This began years ago as a misreading of Nora Ephron's bread pudding recipe in "Heartburn." I initially used sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk, and it was still the "carmelized mush" she described. Over the years I changed ingredients, proportions, and cooking time and experimented with fruits and chocolates, finally settling on cranberries and white chocolate. My friend Alison came over today to taste test my last of four tries at a perfectly balanced holiday bread pudding and we agreed, as we sank into a diabetic coma, this was the best. —MarthaLynn
can of sweetened condensed milk
cups fresh cranberries
ounces white chocolate bar, broken into pieces
large loaf of stale, crusty bread
- Melt butter in and pour into large mixing bowl.
- Add next 4 ingredients and mix well by hand.
- Add thawed or fresh cranberries and stir gently until mixed.
- Tear up stale bread into 2" pieces, enough to fill 3-quart covered casserole .
- Add bread to mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour mixture into buttered 3-quart covered casserole. Leave at least 2" space to the top as butter will bubble.
- Bake with cover on at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in white chocolate pieces. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve warm.