Sumptuous vegetarian Shepherd's Pie in tomato broth. Can be made vegan by substituting just two ingredients. I'm not one to stick to recipes precisely, so feel free to adjust any ingredient to your taste. —Carol P.
- Prep time 1 hour
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 6-8
large potatoes (russet work well), peeled and cut into 1 in. cubes
butter (or butter substitute for vegan)
milk (or soy or coconut milk for vegan)
olive oil (split, see directions)
vegetable broth (I use Better than Boullion)
can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups
green lentils (or any kind, really)
medium/large onion, diced
glove garlic, minced
cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
carrots, peeled and chopped
eggplant (medium), cut into 1 in cubes
head of cauliflower, cut into 1 in. pieces
salt & pepper to taste
parmesan reggiano (optional)
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare mashed potato topping: boil potatoes until soft, mash or strain through potato ricer. Add butter and milk (or butter/milk substitutes for vegan), mix and set aside, covered.
- Place eggplant on metal sheet pan, add 2 tbs. of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and mix until coated thoroughly. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes and checking to make sure it doesn't burn. When eggplant is soft, remove from oven and set aside.
- After eggplant is in the oven, roast carrots and cauliflower on another sheet pan with 2 tbs olive oil and salt for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice in between.
- While vegetables are roasting, heat 2 tbs. olive oil in dutch oven, add mushrooms and saute until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same dutch oven, heat 1 tbs. of olive oil and saute onions until soft, then add garlic and cook for 4 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add thyme and stir. When onions are translucent, add vegetable broth, lentils, and tomatoes. Cook for 1/2 hr.
- When vegetables are cooked, remove from oven and add to lentil mixture, along with mushrooms, soy sauce, Sriracha, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until lentils are soft, about 45 min.-1 hour total.
- Off heat, pour mixture into 9 x 13 in. casserole and spread mashed potato mixture on top. If desire, sprinkle parmesan reggiano on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until slightly browned on top.