Author Notes: This south Indian recipe is one of my family favorite. It is a spicy and dry side dish made by marinating chicken thighs in a green marinade and roasted along with caramelized onions in a Cast Iron Skillet. It is a quick and easy recipe.
Cilantro and black pepper combination is also a proven fast remedy for common cold.
This is one of my favorite ‘Go-to’ recipe to have during those cold rainy days. Best had along with Roti or Rice or even wrapped in a tortilla! —Jiya.A
pound Chicken thighs(cut into bite size pieces)
cup Chopped Cilantro
Black Pepper corns
teaspoon Cumin Seeds
teaspoon Garam Masala/ Indian All spice mix
Big Onion sliced
teaspoons Minced Ginger and garlic
tablespoons Extra virgin Olive oil
- For the Green Marinade-Grind together black pepper, cilantro, cumin seeds and green chilies to a coarse mixture(not too fine paste).
- Now marinate the chicken pieces in the green marinade along with some turmeric for about 20 mins or overnight.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat some oil and add, the minced ginger and garlic and curry leaves.Let the curry leaves splutter.
- Once the ginger and garlic get slightly browned, add the onion slices and sauté well.
- Add a pinch of salt to speed the browning of onions.
- Once the onions are well sautéed, add the marinated chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cover with a glass lid and cook for about 10 mins.
- Now remove the lid and let it cook. Keep stirring in between so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the skillet.
- Add little water if needed and cook dry like a stir-fry.
- Chicken pieces should turn slightly golden brown.
- Check salt in between and sprinkle gram masala towards the end.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro.