If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An easy to throw together, deliciously moist (a controversial word, I know), oil-based yellow cake—baked in a cast iron skillet and "topped" with caramelized bananas. —Jessie Sheehan
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 50 min
For the caramelized bananas
cup unsalted butter
cup light brown sugar
large bananas, just ripe, sliced lengthwise
teaspoon table salt
For the yellow cake
cups all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon table salt
cup vegetable oil
cup granulated sugar
teaspoons pure vanilla extract
large egg yolk
cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and salt and cook until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and decoratively press the bananas (flat side down, rounded side up) into the caramel, until all of the caramel is topped with bananas. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and set aside.
- Place the oil, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the egg and yolk, and continue whisking until smooth. Add the buttermilk and whisk again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and using a rubber spatula, gently fold to combine. Do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter over the bananas and gently smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating at the halfway point, until a cake tester comes out with a moist crumb or two.
- Immediately run a paring knife around the edge of the pan. Let sit for 5 minutes, then carefully invert the cake onto a serving platter. If bits of caramel or banana stick to the bottom of the pan, scrape them off and place them back onto the cake.
- Let cool until the caramel sets a bit, about 20 minutes, or cool to room temperature. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- The cake will keep wrapped in plastic on the counter for up to 3 days, but it is best the day it is made.
- Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains Contest Winner!