If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dessert came about when I combined two of my family's favorites - chocolate covered peanut butter balls (also known as Buckeyes) and chocolate covered bananas. Bananas, peanut butter and chocolate go together beautifully and these keep for months in the freezer making this the perfect always on hand dessert.
I use a bit of food-safe wax in the chocolate which helps in the coating process and gives it shine but if you're opposed, substitute the wax with one teaspoon of oil. Personally, I go through enough tubes of chapstick that I really can't object to a bit of wax in my food. —Leila
Makes 2 dozen balls
Peanut Butter Banana Balls
large, ripe bananas
tablespoons butter - softened
cup peanut butter
cup confectioners sugar, sifted
tablespoon cream cheese
- Peel and slice bananas into discs ~ 1/2 inch thick. Place on parchment lined sheet pan and freeze.
- Prepare peanut filling: Beat together soft butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar and salt. Refrigerate 1 hour until slightly firm.
- Place a small ball of the peanut butter mixture on the top and bottom of each banana. Roll between your palms to form a ball. Place back on the parchment lined sheet pan and place back in the freezer until firm.
ounce food-safe parafin wax (I use Gulf canning wax)
ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water melt parafin wax. When melted, add chocolate chips. Stir until fully melted and smooth. Turn off heat. Remove frozen balls from the freezer and dip each ball into the melted chocolate. Tap off excess and return to parchment paper. I use a candy dipping fork (available at craft stores) but 2 cake testers or toothpicks work as well (skewer each ball, dip and push off onto parchment sheet). Fill in the hole left by toothpick with a drop of chocolate. When finished dipping all of the balls, use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over the top. Return to freezer. When fully frozen, transfer to an airtight container. Serve frozen.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains