I adapted this recipe from Mark Bittmans custard base for the Banana contest.
I adapted this recipe from Mark Bittmans custard base for the Banana contest.—Emily G
Makes: 1-1.25 quarts
Egg yolks, granulated sugar, half and half, heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt, bananas
cups Half & half
teaspoon Kosher salt
Whole ripe bananas
Chocolate chips, vanilla sea salt, vanilla, cardamom
packet Guittard chocolate chips
pinches Vanilla sea salt
teaspoon Vanilla extract (optional)
Grated cardamom pods
- The base follows the same core recipe as Bittman's custard recipe, stirring yolks and sugar together until thick.
- Adding all but the vanilla extract, anf for this case bananas, to the saucepan until combined and turn on the heat.
- Stir constantly, without letting it simmer, until it thickens and the base passes the spoon test.
- I added the bananas here, while the cream was warming, to get the most flavor.
- Once the base is done, you strain it, add the vanilla, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. (I kept the bananas for a milkshake)
- You could probably eat it frozen like this. But I have an ice cream maker so I pour the base into my Cuisinart.
- I add grated cardamom, some extra vanilla if needed, the little bit of sea salt, and chocolate chips.
- Then let it churn. And enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains