If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted this recipe from Mark Bittmans custard base for the Banana contest. —Emily G
Makes: 1-1.25 quarts
Egg yolks, granulated sugar, half and half, heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt, bananas
cups Half & half
teaspoon Kosher salt
Whole ripe bananas
Chocolate chips, vanilla sea salt, vanilla, cardamom
packet Guittard chocolate chips
pinches Vanilla sea salt
teaspoon Vanilla extract (optional)
Grated cardamom pods
- The base follows the same core recipe as Bittman's custard recipe, stirring yolks and sugar together until thick.
- Adding all but the vanilla extract, anf for this case bananas, to the saucepan until combined and turn on the heat.
- Stir constantly, without letting it simmer, until it thickens and the base passes the spoon test.
- I added the bananas here, while the cream was warming, to get the most flavor.
- Once the base is done, you strain it, add the vanilla, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. (I kept the bananas for a milkshake)
- You could probably eat it frozen like this. But I have an ice cream maker so I pour the base into my Cuisinart.
- I add grated cardamom, some extra vanilla if needed, the little bit of sea salt, and chocolate chips.
- Then let it churn. And enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Bananas or Plantains