If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A really simple salad that celebrates just a few special ingredients. The slight sweetest of the dressing offsets the bitter of the radicchio. You can make extra dressing, it keeps well and makes a really nice dressing for any salad, but goes particularly well with bitter or winter leaves.
If blood orange is out of season grapefruit would also work very well.
This makes a nice side salad or starter, cubed steamed beetroot is a nice addition to this as well.
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 1/2 kohlrabi
- 1 blood orange or grapefruit
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small radicchio, washed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 endive, cut into bit size pieces
- 20 grams watercress or
- 10g parsley, roughly choppped
- salt and pepper to taste
Sherry Vinegar Dressing
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or good quality red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinches salt
- To make the dressing, measure ingredients into a jar and shake well to combine.
- Peel your kohlrabi, thinly slice and cut the rounds into quarters. Peel your orange or grapefruit with a sharp knife, trying to remove all the pith. Slice into rounds and then each round into quarters. Roughly chop the almonds.
- Place all your ingredients in a mixing bowl, keeping a few pieces of orange & the almonds back for garnish. Start with 2 tablespoons of dressing, gently mix, add more dressing if you need, taste for seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish or individual plates, garnish with almonds and blood orange pieces.