Author Notes: This isn't a real recipe, just guidance. It is just one way how to use leftover polenta. Our family use to have polenta so often for dinner. That meant just one thing and one thing only, my grandfather and I are going to have fry polenta and salad for marenda next day. Marenda is a light meal between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and supper which is also called small lunch. —anka
Leftovers cooked cold polenta (about 3-4 cups)
grams špek (cured smoked dry bacon), 2-3 mm sliced and then cut into 15-20mm small pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut cold leftovers prepared polenta into 3/4-1 inch cubes (don’t have to be a perfect cube).
- Fry špek on 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until browned, but not crispy. It will render some of the fat which you need to fry polenta.
- Add polenta to the špek, still at medium-high heat and let it get warm without mixing. Allow polenta to get some crust for about 4-5 minutes and then mix it around.
- Fry polenta cubes for 10-15minutes.
- What I like to do is to mash few cubes with a fork and leave rest in cubes.
- Season it with freshly ground black pepper. No need for salt because polenta is already seasoned plus you have špek too.
- Serve with a simple green salad.