If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: inspired by british golden syrup pudding, this recipe features an olive oil batter that's complemented by the herbaceous tones of thyme. drench the cakes with the aromatic syrup and you'll savor an explosion of sweetness with every bite! —the naked table
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
for the mini cakes
grams brown rice flour
grams potato starch
grams coconut sugar
milliliters almond milk
grams soy yogurt
milliliters light olive oil
grams baking powder
vanilla bean powder
- preheat oven to 170 C and have ready a muffin pan. I used a silicone one for easier release, but if you have a regular metal pan make sure to grease the sides.
- in a medium sized mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and stir them together. mix almond milk and vinegar in a separate glass container and allow to curdle for a few minutes. add yogurt and oil to the curdled mixture. whisk vigorously to emulsify. pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
- bake the cakes. divide the batter evenly between 6 muffin cups of your tray. tap the pan a few times on the counter to smooth out the tops and bake for 15 minutes. check for doneness with a toothpick. if it comes out clean, remove the cakes from the oven and let cool a bit before flipping them onto a serving plate.
for the thyme syrup
grams maple syrup
a few sprigs
- cook the syrup. while the cakes are baking, combine cornstarch with a few spoonfuls of water in a small saucepan. add remaining water and maple syrup, whisk to fully dissolve the starch and add the thyme. cook on low, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. don't discard the thyme sprigs, as they will keep infusing the syrup with their aroma. store in a glass container until ready to serve. this thyme syrup can be prepped in advance and stored in the fridge.
- serve the cakes. drizzle a generous dose of syrup over the warm cakes and enjoy right away!