If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From Bernadette Worndl's Fruit: Recipes That Celebrate Nature: “Poached egg with strawberries and quinoa was a dish served to us for breakfast by an old lady at her chicken farm outside Chicago, which doubled as a kitschily decorated guesthouse. Since then, whenever I taste the combination of egg and strawberries, I always think of that lovely lady and her fairytale farm.” —Food52
Food52 Review: Featured in: The Strawberry Quinoa Salad That Converted a Salad Hater —The Editors
grams (5½ oz) quinoa
grams (1 lb 2 oz) strawberries
to 4 mint sprigs
to 4 tarragon sprigs
tablespoons olive oil
milliliters (2 fl oz/ 1/4 cup) white-wine vinegar
Pinch of finely grated orange zest
orange, juice of
handful rocket (arugula), red sorrel, or mizuna
pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
grams (3½ oz) soft goat’s cheese
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water, to wash away any bitterness. Combine 300 ml (10 fl oz) water and ½ teaspoon salt in a saucepan, then cover and bring to the boil. Rain in the quinoa and simmer gently over very low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave, covered, for about 15 minutes to swell up.
- Meanwhile, slice the strawberries or chop into wedges. Pick the mint and tarragon leaves and roughly chop. In a bowl, combine the quinoa, olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the white-wine vinegar, and the orange zest and juice.
- Fill a saucepan with 2 litres (68 fl oz/8 cups) water and add the remaining vinegar. Bring to the boil. Break the eggs, one at a time, into a cup, taking care not to break the yolk. Carefully slide the eggs, one at a time, into the bubbling water and spoon the white over the yolk. Reduce the heat – the water should be just under boiling. Cook the eggs for 3–4 minutes then, using a skimmer or slotted spoon, remove the poached eggs from the water and drain on paper towel.
- Toss the herbs, salad leaves and strawberries with the quinoa and transfer to a serving plate. Season with salt and pepper, crumble over the goat’s cheese and top with the poached eggs.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!