Author Notes: Reprinted with permission from The Perfect Scoop: Revised and Updated, copyright © 2018 by David Lebovitz. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Ed Anderson. —Food52
Food52 Review: Featured in: Frozen Yogurt, Make Way for Labneh Ice Cream —The Editors
Makes: 1 1/4 quarts
Prep time: 2 hrs
Cook time: 15 min
Homemade labneh and pistachio-sesame brittle
quart plain whole-milk yogurt
cup plus 2 tablespoons (45 g) shelled pistachios
tablespoons sesame seeds
cup (100 g) sugar
Labneh ice cream
cups (620 ml) homemade labneh or plain Greek yogurt
cup (250 ml) heavy cream
tablespoons (90 ml) good-flavored honey, slightly warmed
cup (50 g) sugar
pinch kosher or sea salt
- Make your own labneh by straining the yogurt into a cheesecloth-lined mesh strainer set over a deep bowl for 4 hours in the refrigerator, but not longer. The labneh can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- To make the pistachio-sesame brittle, line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or grease it lightly with vegetable oil. Mix the pistachio and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Spread the sugar in a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet and cook over medium heat, watching it carefully. When it begins to liquefy and darken at the edges, use a heatproof spatula to stir it very gently, encouraging the liquefied sugar around the edges to moisten and melt the sugar crystals in the center.
- Tilt the pan and stir gently until all the sugar is melted and the caramel begins to smoke. Once it has a deep golden color, remove it from the heat and immediately stir in the nuts and seeds. Scrape the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it with a spatula into an even layer. Let cool completely. Once cooled, chop the brittle into bite-sized pieces with a chef's knife. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To make the ice cream, whisk together the labneh, cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Freeze the labneh mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve with the brittle crumbled on top.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!