- Prep time 2 hours
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Makes 1 1/4 quarts
Reprinted with permission from The Perfect Scoop: Revised and Updated, copyright © 2018 by David Lebovitz. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Ed Anderson. —Food52
Test Kitchen Notes
Featured in: Frozen Yogurt, Make Way for Labneh Ice Cream —The Editors
- Homemade labneh and pistachio-sesame brittle
plain whole-milk yogurt
plus 2 tablespoons (45 g) shelled pistachios
(100 g) sugar
- Labneh ice cream
2 1/2 cups
(620 ml) homemade labneh or plain Greek yogurt
(250 ml) heavy cream
(90 ml) good-flavored honey, slightly warmed
(50 g) sugar
kosher or sea salt
- Make your own labneh by straining the yogurt into a cheesecloth-lined mesh strainer set over a deep bowl for 4 hours in the refrigerator, but not longer. The labneh can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- To make the pistachio-sesame brittle, line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or grease it lightly with vegetable oil. Mix the pistachio and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Spread the sugar in a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet and cook over medium heat, watching it carefully. When it begins to liquefy and darken at the edges, use a heatproof spatula to stir it very gently, encouraging the liquefied sugar around the edges to moisten and melt the sugar crystals in the center.
- Tilt the pan and stir gently until all the sugar is melted and the caramel begins to smoke. Once it has a deep golden color, remove it from the heat and immediately stir in the nuts and seeds. Scrape the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it with a spatula into an even layer. Let cool completely. Once cooled, chop the brittle into bite-sized pieces with a chef's knife. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To make the ice cream, whisk together the labneh, cream, honey, sugar, and salt. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Freeze the labneh mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve with the brittle crumbled on top.