If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first made this with my beloved Meyer Lemon. It is one fruit but a many-splendid one with flavours, tastes and scents from bitter to sweet and floral.
This recipe plays on the lemony bitterness of our beloved Meyer, enhanced by the smokiness of the grill. Perfectly paired with pan-fried white fish fillets and sauteed potatoes. An easily accomplished weeknight dinner.
A few ideas:
- Sumo mandarins and clementines also work beautifully here
- You could add grilled sweet corn, sliced off the cob to the mix
- maybe add some mint or lemon basil plus the cilantro
- Want to go the seafood way? Make it a side with grilled prawns, calamari, mussels. clams and enjoy away; or poultry —Kitchen Butterfly
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
1 - 2
Meyer lemons/ Clementines - 1 sliced, 1 juiced
firm, ripe tomatoes
2 - 3
spring onions, scallions (or ramps when in season)
small sweet onion, or a couple of shallots
each bell peppers: red, green
1 - 2
long, green chilies
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
large firm but ripe mango, diced
Cilantro, chopped - to taste
- Slice your favourite citrus and vegetables – a mixture is best: but onions and chilli peppers make a great addition to salsas. Toss them in olive oil and season with salt.
- Heat up a grill pan, and let it smoke hot :-). Then gingerly place your veggies in a single layer. Grill both sides and allow them take on some char and stripes
- Remove from the pan and admire them in all their smoky glory. Allow cool, then dice or do a rough chop
- Add mangoes for some sweetness and cilantro, as well as half of the citrus juice. Gently fold together. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cover and leave to 'rest' at room temperature for half an hour or so, so the flavours meld.
- Just before serving, drizzle the rest of the citrus juice, stir well and serve as you like!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilling Recipe