Author Notes: Growing up, we ate so much spaghetti that I actually think tomato sauce runs through my veins. Whether it's a dinner party or family dinner during the middle of a busy week, this tomato sauce is easy to make and popular among all ages. Another plus, it is a comforting affordable meal that can easily impress anyone, as it is made completely from scratch. Hello fresh tomatoes, goodbye canned! Once you've gone fresh, you realize it is easier and all around better; from color to taste and a total kitchen ego boost. Here is what you will need: —Samantha DiGiacomo
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
Sweet vine tomatoes
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoons basil leaves chopped
tablespoons Italian parsley
- On low/medium heat put medium/large sauce pan with olive oil, let heat up.
- While olive oil is heating, dice onion into small pieces
- Peel and crush garlic with the flat side of knife (lightly)
- Put onion and garlic in sauce pan with olive oil, until onion is translucent (adjust heat to avoid burning).
- Wash tomatoes thoroughly, and barely cut tops off tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in the pan with the olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Turn up heat immediately after placing tomatoes in pan to medium/high, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and reapply lid until tomatoes start breaking down, help process with stirring spoon.
- Rinse thoroughly parsley and basil.
- Finely chop parsley and place in pan.
- Chop basil and put in pan.
- Stir all together.
- Tomatoes should be broken down with the help of spoon.
- Add salt and pepper
- Add 1tbsp ghee/unsalted butter.
- Hand help immersion blender (if you don't have one take large pieces into blender, food processor, etc.)
- Taste, add any extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Put lid on for 5 minutes.
- Serve over favorite pasta.