Author Notes: A side that can easily be the meal. It is the perfect summer dish but given a few tweaks in ingredients, Winter would be delighted to add this dish to its collection. Delicate romaine paired with hearty cauliflower tossed with gentle oils, garlic and lemon juice, making it light and insanely delicious. This dish is easily prepared and serves many, making it our "go-to" for any dinner party, picnic, potluck or really anything where we need to bring a dish. It can be served hot or cold and can be added to another salad, pasta, on top of a pizza or you can add pasta sauce to it, dressings, etc.
That being said, while it is a dish that can accompany all of these things wonderfully; I am quite the purist and love the dish for exactly what it is.
If there is anyone in your life that says they can not tolerate cauliflower or just veggies in general - give this recipe a try, add to it anything you feel necessary or that maybe the person loves and watch as they change their minds and ask for the recipe.
I tagged this as a 5 ingredient or less recipe because our family keeps various oils, seasonings, minced and pureed garlic and other pantry staples on hand always. That being said - you really only need the cauliflower, romaine, carrot top greens and shishito peppers. This truly is an effortless dish once you have made it once before. —A Love Like June
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
Cauliflower Head [2 if small/organic]
bunch Carrot Top Greens [Parsley if none available]
Romaine Hearts [Escarole or Butter Lettuce will suffice]
teaspoons Garlic Puree or 3-6 cloves garlic [finely minced]
Oil of choice [I use Walnut & Sesame]
tablespoons Toasted Quinoa
- Chop cauliflower into small to medium pieces, place in bowl. Toss with a small amount of oil, salt and pepper. Make clear spot in bottom of bowl - add garlic puree and toss evenly amongst cauliflower pieces.
- Toss with a small amount of oil, salt and pepper. Make clear spot in bottom of bowl - add garlic puree and toss evenly amongst cauliflower pieces.
- Chop Carrot top greens finely and spread among cauliflower pieces.
- Place cauliflower on grill safe basket or platter and begin grilling as it will take the longest to cook. I choose to keep the grill at a high heat for this, being that cauliflower takes so much longer to cook.
- Place shishito peppers right onto the rack of the grill - you will turn these every few minutes until they begin to char and pop. At that point they must be removed and set to the side to cool.
- Chop romaine into rough chunks about 1 inch in size or to your preference. I just chop across the entire heart and cut chunks 1 inch in width or rip with fingers. It's very rustic and will reduce in size as it grills so do not chop too small.
- Cut lemon into chunks and squeeze juice of lemon across the surface of the romaine. Afterwards, toss lightly with oil [I prefer Walnut for depth], seasonings of choice [salt, pepper and paprika are my favorites] Place on grill basket or platter and begin to grill.
- You will watch all items and ensure that they grill and brown but do not overcook. Unless of course, you prefer your cauliflower blackened. Outside of that - watch for the romaine to begin browning and wilting. It is done at that point. This is why I keep the two items separate - to ensure neither is over or under cooked.
- After the peppers have slightly cooled, slice into pieces or mince - set to side. I prefer to leave about half of the seeds with the peppers as I cut them. You may prefer to rinse seeds out and pat dry before cutting. Shishito Peppers are not hot and have an amazing flavor.
- Combine in large bowl the cauliflower mixture, romaine and shishito peppers and toss gently. I usually wear one disposable glove for this.
- Apply 1 - 2 tsp oil of choice to utensil or hands and toss gently all around mixture. I prefer a mixture of walnut and sesame to give the dish additional depth. Avocado Oil would be a nice oil as well.
- Sprinkle in desired amount of toasted quinoa into bowl and toss with salad as desired and serve. If desired, I also love to top with Marcona Almonds.