If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My take on Canal House’s Genius chicken thighs. Torn bread pieces crisp up in schmaltz, followed by a boatload of shiny Tuscan kale. My favorite way to break down the bread: Cut into thick slices, then tear by hand. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: Featured in: Legendary, Crispy-as-Heck Chicken Thighs We'd Want for Dinner Any Night —The Editors
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
tablespoon olive oil
bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning chicken
pinches freshly ground black pepper
cups chopped Tuscan kale (about 10 ounces)
cups torn bread chunks (about 6 ounces)
garlic cloves, peeled and minced
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
lemon, juice of
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron. Set over medium heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet, skin side down. Cook like this, without moving, until the fat has rendered and the skin is deeply golden brown and crispy, 15 to 30 minutes. Fiddle with the heat, reducing to medium-low if the skin begins to burn before it gets evenly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water—figure about 4 quarts—to a boil. Add the 3 tablespoons salt. Add the kale and cook for about 2 minutes until tender. Drain into a colander. Don’t worry about squeezing out any extra water—we’ll want that moisture later.
- Turn the thighs over and continue cooking until the other side is deeply golden brown and the meat closest to the bone is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- When done, transfer the chicken thighs to a plate, leaving all the fat in the pan. Immediately add the bread to the pan. Toss in the fat and spread into an even layer. Now leave alone until golden-brown and toasty. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and toss. Let toast for a minute, then add the kale and toss. Cook for 5 or so minutes, until everyone is hot and happy. Squeeze lemon juice on top. Season with salt to taste.
- Nestle the chicken thighs back in the pan. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!