Author Notes: When you don’t have access to a real campfire to make s’mores, try these “nachos.” You just lay graham crackers on a baking sheet, top them with marshmallows, and run the whole thing under the broiler to bronze the marshmallows (or burn them, whatever is your pleasure). Drizzled with a warm chocolate sauce, these are irresistible. Feel free to add more toppings, like caramel, chopped nuts, chopped dark chocolate, toasted coconut flakes, sliced bananas, crushed pretzels, or even a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt. —Food52
Food52 Review: This recipe comes from Margaritaville: The Cookbook by Carlo Sernaglia and Julia Turshen. —The Editors
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 5 min
cup heavy cream
tablespoon unsalted butter
cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 1⁄2-ounce sleeves graham crackers, broken into halves
10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat the broiler to low. Position the oven rack so it’s 6 inches away from the heating element.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Place the cream, butter, and chocolate chips in a large heatproof bowl and set it over the saucepan (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir the mixture until the butter and choco ate have melted, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the bowl over the saucepan to keep the sauce warm.
- Place half the graham cracker halves on a baking sheet and top with half the marshmallows. Broil just until the marshmallows turn golden brown, about 1 minute, depending on the strength of your broiler. Place the remaining graham crackers and marshmallows on top and broil one more time until the second layer of marshmallows is golden brown (or burnt, if you prefer that!), about 1 minute more.
- Drizzle the warm chocolate sauce over the "nachos" and serve straight from the pan, with plenty of napkins handy. See Author's Note for additional topping options, which can be added straight to the pan, right before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!