Author Notes: Our current obsession: half-veggie burgers. This recipe amps up ground turkey with caramelized mushrooms and onions. Dream pairings: Swiss cheese and Russian dressing, on a pretzel bun if you can find one. —Emma Laperruque
Makes: 4 burgers
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
yellow onion, finely chopped
ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped
pound ground turkey
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons canola oil
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and turn translucent—about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, stir, and continue to sauté—stirring and lowering the heat as needed—for about 20 minutes. Cool completely before forming the burgers.
- Form the burgers. Mix the cooled mushroom-onion mixture, turkey, egg, and salt in a bowl.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the canola oil. When the skillet is very hot, add the patties. Sprinkle with salt. Sear for about 3 minutes, until crusty, then flip. Top with cheese, if you’re using, and sear for another 3 or so minutes until cooked through.
- Sandwich with your chosen bun and toppings. Slice in half and eat.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!