If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our current obsession: half-veggie burgers. This recipe amps up ground turkey with caramelized mushrooms and onions. Dream pairings: Swiss cheese and Russian dressing, on a pretzel bun if you can find one. —Emma Laperruque
Makes: 4 burgers
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
yellow onion, finely chopped
ounces white button mushrooms, finely chopped
pound ground turkey
teaspoon kosher salt
tablespoons canola oil
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and turn translucent—about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, stir, and continue to sauté—stirring and lowering the heat as needed—for about 20 minutes. Cool completely before forming the burgers.
- Form the burgers. Mix the cooled mushroom-onion mixture, turkey, egg, and salt in a bowl.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the canola oil. When the skillet is very hot, add the patties. Sprinkle with salt. Sear for about 3 minutes, until crusty, then flip. Top with cheese, if you’re using, and sear for another 3 or so minutes until cooked through.
- Sandwich with your chosen bun and toppings. Slice in half and eat.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!