Author Notes: I had been gifted a bunch of kale and wanted to make a salad to bring to a pizza dinner. After finding a few recipes online I just decided to wing it. I will update this the next time I make it!
No salt or additional dressing needed. —Sadassa_Ulna
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 5 min
lemons, one zested, both juiced
bunch curly kale
ounces bacon, pancetta, or giuncarle
tablespoons olive oil
stalks celery, sliced thinly on the diagonal
head lettuce, rinsed, dried, and torn
- Remove the central rib from each kale leaf and slice into small pieces; place in medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, add the zest of one lemon to the juice of two lemons. Pour this over the kale.
- Massage kale between fingertips. If you need to get out any aggressions and/or dislike fibrous kale, then really go to town and wring the kale out in your fists. Once it looks a little soft and bright green, set kale aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a very large pan. Saute the diced bacon until just starting to get golden; add the celery and saute an additional minute. The celery should be bright and still a little crisp. Add the kale and turn off heat.
- Place kale/bacon mixture in a salad bowl. Chop apple (reserve half of it for another purpose). Add salad greens and apple. Toss just before serving.
- NOTE: this might be good with fresh thyme and/or black pepper....