Author Notes: Taking you on a whimsical flavor ride in this recipe!
I am 100% sure we will never stop obsessing over Pandan, so here’s another comforting recipe featuring a harmony of Pandan and Palm Sugar in the infamous Babka! —Enrica Tirtaputra
Makes: 2 loaves or 12 muffin-sized babka rolls
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 2 hrs
ounces coconut milk
ounces palm sugar
pieces pandan leaf
PANDAN & PALM SUGAR BABKA DOUGH
cup warm water (2 parts plain water, 1 part pandan extract infused water)
1/2 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons
cups bread flour
pieces large eggs
cup canola oil
- MAKE COCONUT JAM: Combine all the ingredients in a pot & bring it to a boil. Once the mixture vigorously boils, turn the heat down to medium-low & let simmer – stirring frequently. The mixture will slowly thicken & darken. The jam is ready when a spoonful firms up when cooled. Pour the jam into a glass jam & seal tight, it will keep in the fridge for up to a month.
- Activate Yeast: add yeast into warm water, stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the sugar & allow it to proof & get foamy. Into the bowl of a standing mixer, add the remaining sugar, flour, & salt. Give it a quick stir.
- When the yeast is ready, whisk in the eggs, oil, & honey to the mixture. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients.
- Using the dough hook attachment, mix on medium-low speed for 7-10 minutes until dough is smooth yet slightly sticky to touch. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl & allow to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, roll out the dough into a 10 by 12 inches rectangle. Spread the Gula Melaka jam evenly over dough. Then roll the rectangle into a log starting with the long side.
- Feel free to shape your dough however you like (Our versions are the Babka Loaf & Mini Babka Rolls). After shaping the doughs, place them on the baking tray & allow the to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Just before baking, brush the tops with an egg wash (mixture of a yolk & 1 tbsp water) & bake for 22-25 minutes. Let them cool and they're ready to enjoy!