If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Taking you on a whimsical flavor ride in this recipe!
I am 100% sure we will never stop obsessing over Pandan, so here’s another comforting recipe featuring a harmony of Pandan and Palm Sugar in the infamous Babka! —Enrica Tirtaputra
Makes: 2 loaves or 12 muffin-sized babka rolls
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 2 hrs
ounces coconut milk
ounces palm sugar
pieces pandan leaf
PANDAN & PALM SUGAR BABKA DOUGH
cup warm water (2 parts plain water, 1 part pandan extract infused water)
1/2 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons
cups bread flour
pieces large eggs
cup canola oil
- MAKE COCONUT JAM: Combine all the ingredients in a pot & bring it to a boil. Once the mixture vigorously boils, turn the heat down to medium-low & let simmer – stirring frequently. The mixture will slowly thicken & darken. The jam is ready when a spoonful firms up when cooled. Pour the jam into a glass jam & seal tight, it will keep in the fridge for up to a month.
- Activate Yeast: add yeast into warm water, stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the sugar & allow it to proof & get foamy. Into the bowl of a standing mixer, add the remaining sugar, flour, & salt. Give it a quick stir.
- When the yeast is ready, whisk in the eggs, oil, & honey to the mixture. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients.
- Using the dough hook attachment, mix on medium-low speed for 7-10 minutes until dough is smooth yet slightly sticky to touch. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl & allow to rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, roll out the dough into a 10 by 12 inches rectangle. Spread the Gula Melaka jam evenly over dough. Then roll the rectangle into a log starting with the long side.
- Feel free to shape your dough however you like (Our versions are the Babka Loaf & Mini Babka Rolls). After shaping the doughs, place them on the baking tray & allow the to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Just before baking, brush the tops with an egg wash (mixture of a yolk & 1 tbsp water) & bake for 22-25 minutes. Let them cool and they're ready to enjoy!