Author Notes: Blueberry pandowdy ditches pie pastry and takes a cue from bread pudding. To tear the challah, first cut into thick slices, then tear those into pieces with your hands. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: This is one of our Big Little Recipes. Read more here: 5-Ingredient Blueberry Pandowdy Is (a Lot!) Easier Than Pie. —The Editors
Makes: 9-inch pandowdy
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
For the blueberry filling
cups fresh blueberries
cup granulated sugar
teaspoon kosher salt
For the challah topping
cups torn challah pieces (see headnote)
tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for serving
tablespoon granulated sugar
pinch kosher salt
- Position a rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat to 375° F.
- Combine the blueberry filling ingredients in a bowl. Toss with a spoon or by hand, smushing some of the berries to release their juices. Pour into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Combine the challah and cream in another bowl. Toss until all the bread pieces are coated. Distribute evenly on top of the blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar and salt.
- Bake for about about 35 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and jammy, and the top is deeply browned. Cool for a little while before serving. This helps the fruit set up a bit. To serve: Scoop into a shallow bowl and drizzle with cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!