Author Notes: This sandwich is a unique twist on a classic grilled cheese sandwich. It is created with creamy, soft and sweet scrambled eggs and delicious melty parmesan and nutritional yeast all fused in between two buttery, crispy toasts. I created this dish due to my love for bread, cheese, and eggs. They are so scrumptious yet so easy to cook and is perfect for any meal of the day. Combine all these ingredients together, you get a masterpiece of simplicity in one bite. The uniqueness about this dish is the nutritional yeast which brings out that special umami flavor that combines nicely against the sweetness of the egg and savoriness of the parmesan. This sandwich is also pretty free flowing because you can add as much grated parmesan or nutritional yeast you'd like and sprinkle in an extra dash or two of lemon pepper. Hope you enjoy floating on that pillowy cloud of sweet scrambled eggs and rich umami savory cheese! —Lydia
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 7 min
cup grated parmesan
tablespoons nutritional yeast
tablespoon coconut aminos
teaspoon granulated sugar
pinches lemon pepper
- First make the scrambled egg. In a bowl, crack in the egg and pour in the water, coconut aminos, and granulated sugar and stir in circular motions with a fork until all ingredients are combined and incorporated well.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a small pan over medium to low heat. After the butter has melted, pour in the scrambled egg mixture and stir around slowly with a spatula.
- Once you see that the eggs have started to curdle, turn off the stove and stir around until almost all the eggs have curdled but there is still some liquid left. Pour the egg onto a plate to let it cool so it won't keep cooking.
- After washing the pan or using a new pan, melt the rest of the butter over medium to low heat. Toast a slice of bread and grate in 1/4 cup of parmesan on top of the bread, ensuring that the whole bread is covered with the parmesan.
- Sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and some lemon pepper. Slowly place the scrambled egg on top. Afterwards, sprinkle on the rest of the nutritional yeast, grated parmesan, and lemon pepper then top with the last slice of bread.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over, then turn the stove to low heat. Cover with a lid for a few minutes to let the cheese melt. Once the cheese has melted you're done!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Umami-Centric Recipe