If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Chicken Shawarma recipe is always listed among my signature recipes that I would like to introduce to my friends. Since the first time it came to my life, on a business trip to Kuwait, this aromatic dish has never ceased to exit my mind ever.
But, it was not until recent days that I digged out my very own chicken shawarma recipe to cater my taste.
WHAT IS CHICKEN SHAWARMA?
Having been long known as one of the most favourite street foods in Middle East, Chicken Shawarma is actually an Arabian fast food which was originated in Turkey.
The dish, then, gradually became one of the world’s most popular street foods, especially in the countries of the Levant and the Arabian Peninsula. Nowadays, Chicken Shawarma has been a staple part of citizens in the Middle East, like The Philippines and Singapore.
What Is Chicken ShawarmaSave
Chicken Shawarma consists of shaved meat such as beef, lamb, chicken, turkey or veal – served with flatbread and an assortment of vegetables. The secret for its authentication should be how the meat is cooked. Various layers of meat are skewered on a spit and slowly roasted liberally on both sides.
GYRO AND SHAWARMA: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
At the first glance, gyros and shawarma seem to be very alike. The chicken is both shaved from a large turning meat cone, which is a brilliant way to help keep the very unique meat juice’s flavor.
However, gyro is simply made from lamb or beef topped with tomato, onion and tzatziki or hot sauce, served on a thin pita. Shawarma, on the other hand, is topped diversely with a whole range from tahini, tabouli, fattoush, to cucumber and even hummus.
IS CHICKEN SHAWARMA GOOD FOR YOU?
We all know how chicken itself is beneficial for weight-loss, so – yes.
As science proofed, chicken shawarma offers 15g of fat, and 400 calories – which takes up only 24% of an ideal adult’s daily intake of calories. Totally not so alarming at all.
Chicken Shawarma RecipeSave
WHAT SHOULD BE SERVED WITH CHICKEN SHAWARMA?
As a true Middle East-styled dish, Chicken shawarma is often served in pita breads with pickles, maybe wrapped with heaps of veggies and sauce. Similar to meat shawarma, chicken shawarma can also be served with zesty drizzles of tzatziki sauce. —Healthy Kitchen 101
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
tablespoon ground cumin
tablespoon turmeric powder
tablespoon ground coriander
tablespoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground cloves
boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced into small pieces
cup extra virgin olive oil
teaspoon cayenne pepper
large onion, thinly sliced
large lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Preparation - Mix all the ingredients for the spice mix in a small bowl and set aside. - Put the chicken breasts in a large bowl, season with the Shawarma spices, onions, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Toss them all together to make sure the chicken pieces are evenly coated. Cover with a cling film and store overnight in the fridge (or at least 3 hours).
- Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge, let it reach to room temperature.
- Spread the marinated chicken and the onions on the baking tray. Make sure all the chicken thighs are lying flat and not on top of each other. Put to bake in 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce to your preferences. I myself used a simple Greek Tzatziki sauce to enhance the chicken's flavor.
- I enjoyed my chicken shawarma in pita pockets, a few stems of arugula, and finally some drizzles of tzatziki sauce and olive oil. Be creative all you want.
- Notes - It is sure much more tasty if the chicken is marinated and let sit for 1 day beforehand in the fridge. Simply defrost it on the next day before cooking. - The chicken can also be frozen in its marination – as long as the meat has not been previously frozen – for up to 3 months.