Author Notes: This awesome looking chiffon cake combines ube, chocolate, and vanilla cake in a cool swirl! This recipe is not hard at all! —Melissa Huang
Makes: 1 cake
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
for the meringue:
cup fine sugar
teaspoon cream of tartar
teaspoon vanilla extract
for the batter:
cup cake flour
tablespoons ube powder
teaspoons cocoa powder
- A couple hours before this recipe, separate your eggs and let them come to room temperature.
- Beat the egg whites in a stand mixer until foamy. Add in the cream of tartar and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Once it reached soft peaks, gradually add in the fine sugar. Beat until stiff peaks. It must be stiff enough that when you turn the bowl upside down, nothing falls or moves.
- Divide the meringue into 3 different bowls.
- Sift 1/4 cup of cake flour into each bowl and add ube powder, cocoa powder, and cake flour (2 tbsp each) into respective bowls.
- Fold each and DO NOT over-mix. Make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon each mixture into your ungreased tube cake pan. You can swirl them or just leave them as little patches.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until golden brown on top and not jiggly.
- Right when you take it out of the oven, invert it on a cup or on its legs. Let cool completely before you try to cut it out.