Author Notes: This recipe is a great use for your favorite root vegetables, if using beets cook them separately from the other vegetables to prevent a pink mess. You can also substitute extra virgin olive oil for the butter to make this recipe vegan or suitable to be served with meat as part of a kosher meal. —Hippo Flambe
cups Carrots cut into 1/2 inch peices
cups Parsnips cut into 1/2 inch pieces
tablespoons Maple Syrup
Bay Laurel Leaf (preferably fresh)
teaspoon Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saute pan.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Put the lid on the pan and shake to coat the vegetables in the liquid.
- Simmer over medium heat until the vegetables start to become tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pan lid and increase the heat to high.
- Cook, stirring often until the liquid is reduced and the vegetables are all coated in a syrupy glaze.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, remove the thyme sprigs and bay laurel leaf.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side