Author Notes: This chocolatey banana confection sits firmly between cake and brownie. It's delightfully tender, fudgy and dense, and chock-full of banana. The best part? It's made from ingredients I typically eat for breakfast—almonds, bananas, coconut oil—plus a few innocuous ones, like unsweetened cocoa and baking powder. This recipe was featured in, The Fudgy Banana-Brownie Cake You Can Eat for Breakfast. —Ella Quittner
Makes: 1 9-inch cake
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 30 min
tablespoons coconut oil, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
cups almond flour
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoons kosher salt
cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
cup almond butter, unsweetened (if oil is separated, stir to combine before using)
cup maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
cups roughly mashed bananas (about 4 bananas), divided, plus one whole banana
pinch flaky salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper, and grease the bottom and sides thoroughly with melted coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a stand mixer or by hand with a whisk, thoroughly combine almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and half the mashed bananas. Add about a quarter of the dry ingredients, and mix to integrate. Add the remaining dry ingredients about half at a time, mixing and then scraping down the sides with a spatula after each addition. Add the other half of the mashed bananas, and mix to combine.
- Scrape the batter into the greased pan. Slice the remaining banana into three strips lengthwise, and make a pattern on top of the batter. Gently drizzle the banana slices on top with maple syrup, and sprinkle them with a pinch of flaky salt each. Place into oven and bake until the cake is puffed up and the center looks set. Start checking around 55 minutes, but depending on the ripeness of the bananas and consistency of almond butter you use, it could take up to 90 minutes. Let rest for 45 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!