Author Notes: My Grandmother's apple pancakes are so delicious that you just have to make a whole bunch to share them with your family and friends. Add a glass of sparkling wine and some colorful sides (such as blackberries and gin or brie, thyme and walnut-honey or ...) and you have created the perfect Fall Buffet.
For more info see https://www.gingerbychoice.de/en/fall-buffet-with-apple-pancakes/ —Ginger by Choice I Food & Lifestyle Blog by Eva
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
apples (tart varieties like Fuji, Granny Smith)
cups bread flour
tablespoons vegetable oil
- Separate the eggs. Put the egg whites in a tall bowl and place in the fridge. Whisk the yolks and the milk in a medium sized bowl. Add the flour gradually while stirring. Put the batter in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, core the apples (optional) and cut into ¼ - ½ ” slices. Squeeze the lemon and mix the juice with the apple slices.
- Remove the batter and the egg whites from the fridge. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter in two additions.
- Preheat the oven to 170 °F and place a casserole dish on the middle rack. Heat a large pan to medium heat. Slide the apple slices gradually into the batter. When they are completely covered, use a spoon to drop the slices into the pan. Bake in 1 tablespoon of oil until golden brown for 3 - 4 minutes each side.
- Put the finished pancakes in the casserole dish in the oven and keep warm until all apple pancakes are ready. Enjoy with various sides (for ideas see recipe description).