Author Notes: Pink Pearl Apples give this classic fall twist a new, vibrant look and pair perfectly with the hints of thyme. —Bradley Chen
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
Roasted Pepita Crumb Topping
tablespoons butter, unsalted
cup brown sugar
cup granulated white sugar
cup all-purpose flour
cup rolled oats
cup roasted pepitas, unsalted
Pink Pearl Apple & Thyme Filling
pink pearl apples, cored and sliced
tablespoon brown sugar
tablespoon granulated white sugar
teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
tablespoon butter, unsalted
- Cream the larger quantities of butter and sugar together until pale brown, light, and fluffy.
- Mix in the all-purpose flour, rolled oats, and roasted pepitas until fully incorporated and crumbly, making sure to crush any chunks of butter that are too large by hand. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sliced pink pearl apples, thyme leaves, smaller quantities of sugar, and melted butter. Mix until all the apples are coated with the other ingredients.
- Transfer the apple filling into your desired baking dish and pack the crumb topping on top, making sure no filling can be seen.
- Bake for approximately one hour, or until the filling is soft and the crumb topping is a rich, golden brown.
- Serve warm as is or with a scoop of ice cream!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe With Apples