Author Notes: Pork chops served with apples is a classic combination. In this recipe I've decided to really enhance the flavors with fresh herbs, apple cider, apple slices, pearl onions and pepper making for an out-of-this-world apple gravy to smother golden pork chops in.
My inspirations come from my love of pan seared pork chops and pepper gravy. I hope you enjoy making, serving and eating this dish as much as I do.
Cheers! —Alexandra Grace
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
tablespoons OLIVE OIL
ounces PORK CHOPS BONE IN OR OUT
MEDIUM GALA APPLE, THINLY SLICED
cups WHITE OR YELLOW PEARL ONIONS (FRESH OR FROZEN)
teaspoons CHICKEN BASE
teaspoons DIJON MUSTARD
FRESH SAGE LEAVES TORN
cup HEAVY CREAM
cup APPLE CIDER
tablespoons CORN STARCH
tablespoons COLD WATER
SALT TO TASTE
GENEROUS AMOUNT PEPPER
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper. Add pork chops to hot pan and sear each side to a golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes per side. Remove pork chops to a plate and set aside.
- Turn skillet heat down to medium and add remaining olive oil to pan. Add apples and pearl onions to pan and cook until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and to release flavor from the herb mixture.
- Add water, apple cider, and chicken flavoring to apple/onion mixture. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, stir the 4 tablespoons cold water with the cornstarch.
- When apple/onion mixture is boiling slowly add cornstarch slurry stirring constantly. Boil for one minute. Turn heat to low. Add cream slowly, stirring the entire time. Slide reserved pork chops into apple/onion gravy and simmer approximately 5 minutes or until chops are cooked through.
- Taste test for seasoning adding more salt if necessary and a generous amount of pepper.
- Serve pork chops with apple and onion gravy on top. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe With Apples