Author Notes: 雪見だいふく（YUKIMI DAIFUKU) is well known MOCHI ice cream in Japan. And, of course I love it since I was a child.
Who else could think to Mochi and Ice cream are working so good together?
It's almost like Japanese Confection 'Daifuku', but stuffed with vanilla ice cream. It's just so delicious!!!
Since I know how to make Strawberry Daifuku, So why don't I cook Mochi ice cream at home?
It's not so difficult to make, but you need to know Mochi is sticky. And you really need to work really quickly, otherwise the ice cream melts fast and you can't seal the Mochi.
If Mochi is too sticky to handle, Use cornstarch. It would be helpful!
If ice cream starts to melt, just put back the ice cream in the freezer till get hard.
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 2 hrs
grams Shiratamako (glutinous rice flour)
ounces Ice Cream
- Scoop ice cream with a small cookie scooper(I used 1tbsp cookie scoop.) on the parchment paper lined cake pan or plate. Keep it in the freezer.
- Put SHIRATAMAKO and sugar in the microwave safe bowl. Add water and whisk well until SHIRATAMAKO is dissolved.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 minute at 1000w/ for 2minute at 600w. Stir with a wet spatula. Put plastic wrap back on and Microwave for 1 more minute at 1000w/500w. Stir well, Cover again and Microwave for 30 second at 1000w/500w. Stir until shiny. The color should be translucent.
- Transfer the Mochi to a generous amount of flour on the work surface. Sprinkle over the top of the Mochi. Roll the Mochi out with cornstarch covered rolling pin about 1/10inch to 1/8inch thick. Applying enough cornstarch as you need to. It should be 8 to 10 circles you get.
- Cut 3 inch circle with a circular cookie cutter or a cup. Layer on a plate with plastic wrap between each Mochi sheet. Keep in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Work with one ice cream at a time! Place a scoop of ice cream in the center of Mochi sheet. Wrap ice cream around with Mochi sheet quickly and pinch to close. Twist the plastic wrap tightly. Put in freezer for 2hours.
- Before eating, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to allow the Mochi to soften.