Author Notes: While these might not be 100% scratch made because of the use of store-bought puff pastry, the addition of grain mustard and a Everything But The Bagel Spice blend makes these homemade piggies absolutely delicious!
Even better? These freeze beautifully so make them before your next cocktail party and bake them, straight from the freezer! —Anna Francese Gass
Makes: 30 or 24 if using regular size hot dogs
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
(12 ounce) package beef cocktail franks or 3 (10 ounce) package regular beef hotdogs
(17.5) ounce package puff pastry (2 sheets)
cup whole grain mustard
beaten with 1 tablespoon water
tablespoons 'Everything but the bagel' seasoning blend (Trader Joes)*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using regular hot dogs, in lieu of cocktail franks, cut each hot dog into three equal pieces to yield 24 small hot dogs.
- Lay out a piece of parchment or wax paper and unfold the defrosted puff pastry onto it. Lightly flatten, with a rolling pin to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bush the mustard all over the pastry in a thin, even layer. Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry into nine, even, vertical strips. Then, cut the nine strips in half, with one horizontal cut to yield 18 small strips.
- Place the frank on one end and roll it up. Place it on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush the puff pastry with egg wash and sprinkle the everything spice blend on top. Use sparingly, as the blend is salty.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan at the 15 minute mark for even browning.
- *If you can't source premade 'Everything' spice blend, you can make your own. Mix 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic and 1 tablespoon dried minced onion in a bowl.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!