Author Notes: Here is a colorful, festive salad for your holiday table! —Anthony Chiffolo
- 1 bunch romaine
- 2 heads radicchio
- 1 cucumber (unpeeled)
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 handful red Kalamata olives, pitted
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Wash the romaine and the radicchio and pull apart the leaves, placing them in two distinct and separate bunches.
- Score the cucumber with a fork (it looks decorative!) and cut into round slices. Place them in the center of a large bowl.
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges and build them around and on top of the cucumbers in the bowl. Th is should create a good base near the top of the bowl on which to build the romaine/ radicchio design, as follows:
- With the furrowed side down, and the root end pointing to the center of the bowl, create a pinwheel design of red and green, alternating the radicchio leaves with the romaine, folding in the sides to make a tight arrangement.
- Place the handful of olives in the center, enough to cover the variety of leaf ends.
- Drizzle the Balsamic vinaigrette over the salad; toss just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side