Author Notes: The holiday of Chanukah celebrates oil. But there is no need to go overboard with frying every dish to feel festive. Instead, opt for this lighter donut alternative on at least one day. It’s so delicious that you may decide to make them for all 8. —Beth Warren
Makes: 6 donuts
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 8 min
cup spelt flour
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoons baking powder
cup coconut sugar
teaspoon apple cider vinegar
cup almond milk
tablespoons melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a donut pan with a little bit of coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, salt, and baking powder, and mix together thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Quickly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients so the almond milk does not curdle.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 6 sections of the prepared donut pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove donuts from oven and allow to cool. Add desired toppings such as melted chocolate, a glaze, or powdered sugar. Enjoy!