Author Notes: These Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes are my twist on a classic holiday dish, and are whipped and rich with roasted garlic and parmesan. The parmesan and roasted garlic add the perfect touch of flavor without being overpowering. If you’re lucky, you’ll have enough for leftovers the next day! —Kathleen Higashiyama
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
tablespoons Olive oil
Garlic bulbs, heads cut off & cloves exposed
cup Grated parmesan
Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a rolling boil. Add peeled potatoes to the water and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, place the garlic bulbs on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil on top of bulbs, getting the oil into the crevices of the garlic. Wrap the bulbs in foil and roast in the oven until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven and remove the cloves from the skin of the bulbs. Set the garlic aside.
- Remove the potatoes from the water once tender and place in a large bowl to cool for 5-10 minutes. Once slightly cooled, place the potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer. Use the flat beater and turn the mixer on a low setting. After a couple minutes, gradually add the milk and butter and continue to mix. Once the potatoes become well-mixed, slowly add in the parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper. Turn the mixer on medium and mix until the potatoes, garlic, and cheese are smooth and well-mixed.
- Spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl and serve immediately.