Taking my inspiration from the traditional south Indian "thoran" a dish with veggies and coconut, I created this quickly in my kitchen.
Taking my inspiration from the traditional south Indian "thoran" a dish with veggies and coconut, I created this quickly in my kitchen.—Lakshmi Sundar
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
cups Fresh spinach leaves, cleaned
tablespoons Freshly grated coconut (or 2 tbsps coconut milk)
teaspoon Mustard seeds
Dried chili pods
teaspoon Turmeric powder
tablespoon Cooking oil
teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- Wash and peel the beets and cut into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and dried chilly pods to the hot oil.
- When the mustard seeds start popping, add the beets, salt, and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook till the beets are cooked, yet crunchy (about 10-15 minutes).
- Add the spinach, fresh coconut or coconut milk and toss a few times.