A delicious low carb twist on a childhood favorite coconut based curry
A delicious low carb twist on a childhood favorite coconut based curry—Lakshmi Sundar
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Head of cauliflower
teaspoon Turmeric powder
teaspoons Kosher salt
cup Freshly grated coconut
Hot green chillies
tablespoon Cumin seeds
teaspoon Mustard seeds
tablespoon Coconut oil (or any cooking oil)
In This Recipe
- Separate the cauliflower into small florets, wash and drain.
- Take the cauliflower, add water to cover the vegetable and cook with the turmeric powder and kosher salt for 10 minutes (the cauliflower should be cooked but firm).
- Grind the coconut, green chilies and cumin in a blender with just a little bit of water, till the ingredients are blended into a nice paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the cooked cauliflower and let the curry boil for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the mustard seeds, dried chilies, and curry leaves till the mustard seeds stop crackling.
- Add the seasoned oil with the ingredients to the cauliflower curry. Serve hot with steamed rice.
- Recipe Notes: Freshly grated coconut is available at Indian supermarkets in the freezer section. The brand I use is called Daily Delite. If you are unable to find freshly grated coconut or want a short cut, take a cup of coconut milk, mix in 1.5 tsp of hot red chilly powder and a heaped tbsp of cumin powder and mix this with the cooked cauliflower instead of the ground coconut paste. It still creates a beautiful, yummy curry! PS. I love my dishes hot and spicy; you can adjust the seasonings to suit your taste buds