Author Notes: This is an adaptation of Maialino's Olive Oil Cake (Genius Recipes). Orange flavors from the original recipe are replaced with coconut, respecting the main taste of the cake but giving it a fun and interesting twist. Coconut milk adds an extra moisture making it even more irresistible!! Olive oil and coconut make a perfect combination in this cake. Smells and flavor are simply alluring. This coconut adaptation gave excellent results!! —Batido Pasteleria (Agustina Frontini)
Makes: 9 inch round cake.
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
grams all purpose flour
grams extra virgin olive oil
grams coconut milk
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
tablespoons shredded coconut (plus an extra teaspoon for decorating)
grams coconut water
teaspoon powdered sugar (for decorating)
- Pre heat the oven to 180º C (350º F). Butter (or oil) a 9 inch cake pan (should be about 3 inches tall).
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and the eggs. Whisk softly until fully mixed.
- Add the olive oil, and mix once again, until it is fully incorporated.
- Bring in the rest of the wet ingredients: coconut milk, coconut water and coconut liquor (Malibu).
- Sift the dry ingredients (kosher salt, baking soda, baking powder and shredded coconut) and add them to the rest of the mixture.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let it cool. Remove it from the pan by inverting it on another wire rack or dish.
- In a small container, mix a teaspoon of shredded coconut with a teaspoon of powdered sugar. Sprinkle this mix on top of the cake to garnish.