This recipe was adapted from Maialino's Olive Oil Cake.
I cut down on the salt to 1 tsp as I figured that was more than enough. I upped the baking powder to 3/4 tsp to give a little more lift. I cut the Olive Oil to 1 cup as other bakers commented on it being too moist. I replaced the milk with buttermilk as that was what I had on hand. Lastly I added chocolate chips tossed in 2TBSP of flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom.
The finished product was moist and flavourful. My boys says it will not last more than a day or two. Very pleased. —Cathreen Phillips
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
- Makes One 9-inch round cake
1 3/4 cups
extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups
1 1/2 tablespoons
fresh orange jiuce
dark chcocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degree F. Butter a 9-inch cake pan that is at least 2 inches deep and line with parchment paper. Butter and flour paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 2 cups flour. sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, buttermilk, eggs, orange zest and juice and Grand Marnier. Add the dry ingredients and whisk till just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips that have been tossed with the 2 TBSP flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until top is golden and cake taster comes out clean. Place on cooling rack and cool 10 minutes in the pan
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely.