Author Notes: This is recipe is inspired by Alison Roman’s Creamy Cauliflower Pasta. I added my own twist by incorporating browned scallions, mushrooms and substituted coconut milk for cream. The addition of garlic lemon sauce (optional but delicious) adds another layer of flavor. —Yoanna Banana
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
pieces scallions, chopped
bunch cauliflower, chopped
cup mushrooms, sliced
cup coconut milk
ounces Italian truffle cheese, or cheese with a strong flavor, of your choosing, shredded
ounces cheese of choosing, for topping the dish.
- Finely chop scallions. In a large sauce pan, sautee scallions with peanut oil until browned
- Add in sliced mushrooms, stir occasionally until browned
- Add in sliced cauliflower, stir until browned
- Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk, and a tablespoon of butter. Add coconut milk gradually, as needed, until vegetables are very tender and sauce is thickened. Turn off heat and let sit.
- Zest the lemon. Cut lemon into 4 quarters. Add 1 quarter of lemon juice.
- Make garlic lemon sauce separately: in a small sauce pan, add 2 Tbsp of butter, and 1 clove of finely chopped garlic, heat until butter is melted and garlic is fragrant. Be careful not to brown the garlic. Juice one quarter of lemon over the butter. Whisk to make a homogenous sauce. Add desire quantity of garlic lemon sauce and shredded cheese to the pan of vegetables.
- Boil a quart of water, add salt to taste. Add in 1 cup of rigatoni or pasta of your choice. Cook until al dente.
- Transfer pasta with a slotted spoon to the pan with vegetable sauce. Any carry-over pasta water is welcome. Turn the pan back on low heat, add the remaining coconut milk, stir until sauce is thickened and coating the pasta.
- Scoop desired portion onto a plate and top with shredded cheese of your choosing. Serve immediately.