Author Notes: When I taught Hospitality classes to GED students, one student was very passionate about creating a savory breakfast pie to play off of the ever-popular sausage biscuit sandwich. They had a great idea and from that I created this recipe that combines a classic cobbler dough with all the necessary ingredients to make the perfect hybrid of a quiche and a strata. —GentrifriedSouth
- 1 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- Place flour in a mixing bowl; cut in butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until dough comes together. Set aside.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a deep dish pie pan, melt butter in the oven.
- Roll out dough to a 9x13 rectangle. Top with cheddar cheese and cooked sausage.
- Roll up and slice into 2 inch slices like a jelly roll. Place slices in pie pan.
- In a bowl, beat eggs with cream, salt, and pepper. Pour over biscuit slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until completely cooked though.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast