Author Notes: This simple recipe is a healthy, vegan twist on a classic summer favorite. Traditionally made with bacon and cider vinegar, this plant-based version gets bold flavor from smoked salt and spicy brown mustard. A sure crowd-pleaser! —Plants-Rule
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch thick disks
cup apple cider vinegar
teaspoons teaspoons spicy brown mustard
red onion, diced
teaspoon smoked salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup cup water (use the water from boiling the potatoes)
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with a couple of inches of water. Cover, bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer. Simmer until knife-glide tender, about 6-8 minutes. Because the potatoes are thinly sliced, keep an eye on them – it won’t take them long to be done.
- While the potatoes simmer, prepare the other ingredients for the salad. In a large bowl, combine the cider vinegar, spicy brown mustard, red onion, smoked salt, and black pepper. Toss well to combine.
- After the potatoes have simmered for a few minutes (and have started to release some of their starches), portion out ¼ cup of the water. Add this to the bowl with the dressing ingredients.
- When the potatoes are done simmering, remove from the heat, and drain well. Immediately add them to the bowl with the dressing ingredients. Toss well to combine. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Enjoy immediately, while still warm.