Author Notes: The BBQ glazed baked tofu added so much flavor to this Tofu, Lettuce and tomato sandwich. Serve with a basil and avocado aioli for an amazing sandwich! —jodiloves
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 23 min
oz package of extra firm tofu, cut into 1/8 thick strips (or smaller)
cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
cup olive oil
cup fresh basil
heirloom tomatoes, sliced thinly
slices of whole wheat bread, toasted
small head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- In order to make the tofu have a chewier texture, there are a few extra steps to it’s preparation. To prep your tofu, first press it either in a tofu press or wrapped in paper towels and with a heavy skillet over the top. I prefer the tofu press because it presses more evenly. Press for 45 minutes. Slice your tofu into 1/8 or smaller strips. Place slices into a freezer safe dish and freeze over night*. Let defrost for 1 day in the fridge. You could also defrost in the microwave. Press again with a towel to get more liquid out.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Lightly brush BBQ sauce on the strips of tofu
- Place tofu on a large sheet pan lined with nonstick aluminum foil that has been sprayed with nonstick spray
- Bake for 20 minutes flipping midway. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make your basil aioli, blend basil, avocado and mayonnaise in a blender and set aside.
- To crisp up your tofu, add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat, make sure it is hot. Add baked tofu and cook in oil on each side for 30-40 seconds per side.
- To create the TLT, spread basil avocado aioli to both pieces of the toast, add crispy tofu, lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with your favorite potato chips and enjoy!
- *Freezing your tofu helps to make it more chewy. It is an important step in this recipe!
- *If you want to cut the WW points, you could use light mayo in the aioli and/or light wheat bread.